[Translators-l] Translating "Welcome to Wikipedia"

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 7 06:11:11 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'd like to bring to your attention that Bence Damokos successfully
completed the first localization of the "Welcome to Wikipedia"
reference guide that was developed through the Wikimedia Foundation
bookshelf project, an effort to develop a library of public outreach
resources. This is noteworthy because the guide is a complex document
made for print, using the Scribus desktop publishing application, and
this principally validates the pipeline used for the bookshelf
materials.

We're maintaining an index of all materials produced so far here:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf

This also has links to localization guidelines. Please also note that
by no means do materials listed there have to originate with WMF, or
in English, and the latest Italian WikiGuida is already listed there.
So please do add materials that you think represent the highest
quality of general outreach resources and which should be considered
for localization. :-)

Here's the Hungarian version of the "Welcome to Wikipedia" brochure
(Bence tells me he still wants to make a few more fixes before it's
truly final):

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Welcome2WP_Hung.pdf

If you'd like to take on an ambitious translation project, the
"Welcome to Wikipedia" brochure certainly qualifies. :-) We'll have
more resources coming online soon. Please see the localization
instructions here:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Localization_guidelines_%28Bookshelf%29

All best,
Erik