[Toolserver-l] performance issues

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:54:56 UTC 2011

DaB. schrieb:
> have you ever thought about the possiblity that maybe there are more users on
> the TS and more people who use the toolserver now than 2 years ago? Or maybe
> it is just people like you, who let a query for a WEBTOOL run for 71 minutes!
>
> We are just short on hardware at the moment, and the situation will not change
> for some time, so we all have to live with the things we have and if a tool
> breaks because it consumes too much resources, then the dev. has to look if
> he/she can optimize it or it breaks!
>
> Sincerly,
> DaB.

Something has changed very recently.
I had occasionally received a cron error of
> Unable to run job: got no response from JSV script "/sge62/default/common/jsv.sh".

But since ~24 hours ago I got many of those. I don't know what may be
wrong (the target server too slow to answer the RPC? a flood of jobs
migrated to SGE?) but I'm a bit concerned that we have redundants
servers to ensure the crons registering to SGE are run, yet the
registration may fail with pretty much no reason.
Maybe we should start launching locally if cronsub fails.