[Toolserver-l] Interwiki-Bots

Conrad Irwin conrad.irwin at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:20:16 UTC 2010

> So my idea: Amalgamate all interwiki-bots (in the same programming-language of
> corse) into 1 multi-maintainer-project. The advantages would be, that we would
> use lesser resources, the bot-maintainer could work together, they could use a
> database together, it would be easier for wikimedia-project-user to contact us
> (in jira for example or with a mailinglist), if something is wrong, it would
> be easier to contact the bot-software-maintainer and so on.
>
> Any thoughts about that? Good idea or a "you had too much hot water in the
> shower"-idea?

This has already happened for the main namespace on Wiktionary, see
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Interwicket. Obviously it's easier
for that bot because wiktionary interwiki links are always between
identical titles.

I think it is very sensible to have "the toolserver" be responsible for
all interwiki linking on projects (including other namespaces on
wiktionary). Doing so would allow a shared database of "correct" links
to be built, particularly for articles that are known to be problematic
(hey, there could even be a web interface for reporting errors).

Whether the toolserver should be responsible for making "all" interwiki
edits is more debatable, but it would certainly be useful to create a
more central place for this to happen.

Conrad