[Toolserver-l] Interwiki-Bots

DaB. WP at daniel.baur4.info
Thu Jan 7 15:13:34 UTC 2010

Hello all,

while I was under the shower today, I got the following weird idea: We have
several interwiki-bots on the toolserver, that do more or less the same, but
by different ts-users. Some bots run old versions of the software, some stop
for unknown reason and were never restarted (properly because the ts-user
left) and some just work how they should. Often I read in the wikimedia-
projects (most time in my homewiki dewp of corse), that there are problems
with a bot (because it add a wrong interwiki-link again) and the users don't
know how to contact the bot-owner and what they should do.

So my idea: Amalgamate all interwiki-bots (in the same programming-language of
corse) into 1 multi-maintainer-project. The advantages would be, that we would
use lesser resources, the bot-maintainer could work together, they could use a
database together, it would be easier for wikimedia-project-user to contact us
(in jira for example or with a mailinglist), if something is wrong, it would
be easier to contact the bot-software-maintainer and so on.

Any thoughts about that? Good idea or a "you had too much hot water in the
shower"-idea?

Sincerly,
DaB.

--