[Toolserver-l] I10N and toolserver subdomains

Marco Schuster marco at harddisk.is-a-geek.org
Wed Dec 29 18:51:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM, DaB. <WP at daniel.baur4.info> wrote:
> At Wednesday 29 December 2010 18:39:07 DaB. wrote:
>> The problem is that this header field is either impossible or
>> difficult to change, and even then only browser-wide, not site-wide.
>
> 4 clicks in FF, 3 clicks in IE, 5 clicks in chromium – very hard indeed. And
> what's the advantage to look at 1 tool in german and 1 tool in french? If I
> speak french and english that will not change depending if I look at google or
> at heise.
*We* know how to change it, yes. The end-user does not necessarily
know, because you normally don't really need it (even if the field
itself is a nice thing to have!).
BTW, what about closed platforms like iOS, Android and Windows
Mobile/Phone 7? The subdomain makes sure that the same URL will give
the same result on every platform when they click on the same link in
Wikipedia/Wikisource/whatever.
But that gives me another idea: Why not store the display language in
a cookie, just like it's done with CentralAuth? This way, you can set
it right inside MediaWiki and don't have to care about changing your
browser/OS setting at all.

Marco
--
VMSoft GbR