[Toolserver-l] Archive of visitor stats

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Sep 19 13:38:28 UTC 2009

Earlier, I wrote:

> Are visitor stats (as produced by Domas) safely archived
> somewhere...?

As an experiment, I uploaded the files for December 2007 to the
Internet Archive,
http://www.archive.org/details/wikipedia_visitor_stats_200712

It was the first time I uploaded something to IA, and since this
was not sound or movies, it was put under "opensource books".
Even though I have a 100 Mbit/s connection, the FTP upload only
got 2.5 Mbit/s (317 kB/s) and the entire upload took 12 hours.

Even though the pagecounts files (each covering one hour) are
compressed, each one contains the same dictionary (article titles)
and I think the total could be more efficiently compressed
(without loss of any information) if they were unpacked and
organized differently. I don't really have the time and energy to
investigate this.

Now I would feel less frustrated if these are removed from my
disk.

Should I continue to do this for the files for 2008, one batch per
month? Or do you have any better ideas?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)