[Toolserver-l] LFTW was: Windows toolserver

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:20:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:09 PM,  <tools.20.connelm at spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> Windows, as a platform, has done everything it can to make command-line
> programming something for "other" OSes.  Well, whether Windows, Linux,
> Solaris or something else, the toolserver shared environment is a
> command-line environment.

It's also a web server. Yes, some of the tools on it are operated by
their owners via a ssh command line, but the rest (I'd say the
majority) are for public use over the internets.

> I dunno - I just don't get where this request is coming from.  Are there
> disadvantaged programmers wandering around carrying signs that say "WILL
> WORK FOR VISTA LICENSES" or something?  If you're going to port
> local-specific code to a command-line environment...why would you ever
> choose Windows?  You'd have to really like "\" and really haet "/".

I don't think the plan is to be porting things (since most of the
existing stuff is client side anyway), rather to provide an
environment for those people out there in the Wikimedia community who
code in things like .NET and don't know perl etc.

The original question was really to find out how many people there are
in that boat; it hasn't really been answered yet.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com