[Textbook-l] Problem with NPOV, and the textbook definition question

John McC sb_johnny at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 02:37:04 UTC 2006

Actually, 2 of our philosophy books are rather
missionary too, one mostly advocating for a "Universal
Religion". I don't think there's any baby in that
bathwater... both the religious groups and the athiest
groups should just start another wiki without the NPOV
restriction. I suppose there could be "relative point
of view", but even then it seems the relative groups
would get pretty small (i.e., "A baptist, a
pentecostal, and an episcopalian go into a bar to try
to write a wikibook on christian doctrine... <insert
punchline here>").

I think keeping the textbook definition fairly vague
is better than pigeon-holing it. Aside from texts that
might be used for graduate school through
kindergarden, there is other materials that might be
used for emergency preparedness and response,
scouting, etc. Even some of the most mundane of the
how-tos (how to tie a tie, shaving, etc.) might be a
good "textbook for the school of life" if a single mom
is trying to help her male child get better
opportunities.

A book on frisbee golf (not sure if there is one, but
there probably will be eventually) can be used in gym
class or by a father and son tossing team. The first
aid book can be used to train EMTs or 10 year olds. A
book on horticulture can help train agricultural
workers, as could a book on agriculture help gardeners
get a leg up. The cookbook might be good for culinary
school, while at the same time being useful for anyone
who eats.

I do understand the dislike for video game guides... I
don't think I'd want to see a book on "how to use a
beer bong" for similar reasons. Some video games are
(I'm told) educational, and I think having something
about them might be ok. Shoot-em-up games (etc.) might
be good for hand-eye coordination, but having a book
about the game isn't necessarily going to enhance
this.

IOW, textbooks need to be useful for building mind,
body, career opportunities, and perhaps houses, but
should they be written for building (or debunking)
souls? That way leads to somewhere we might not want
to go.

-johnny.