[Textbook-l] Problem with NPOV

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 10 20:45:08 UTC 2006

A problem with wikibooks at the moment is that we don't have any formal
statement of the wikibooks "mission statement" anywhere, and we also don't
have any formal accepted definition of what precisely a "textbook" is, how
one is identified, etc. If we want to measure textbooks against the standard
that they must be used in an "accredited institution", that begs the
question what we mean by "accredited". Accredited by whom, precisely? There
are plenty of educational institutions that are "accredited" by all sorts of
bogus agencies, and there are plenty of educational institutions that are
not "accredited", but which do teach valuable, meaningful courses and
lessons to students.

Consider for instance an "accredited institution" that teaches phrenology,
astrology, etc. Such an institution would certainly be accredited by groups
that advocate such topics, but neither the educational institution, nor the
accrediting agency would be listed as "respected". Consider now the
existance of community organizations that teach informal classes to children
and the elderly. These organizations would certainly not be "accredited",
but they can certainly teach valuable lessons to the respective students.

Jimbo: If you want us to use a specific defintion of "textbook" and
"accredited institution", then you are going to have to mandate such
definitions to us. At the moment we are picking our way through such
matters, with varying degrees of success.

-- Andrew Whitworth "Whiteknight"