[teampractices] Retrospectives: Getting deep and personal

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 8 16:58:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice about how to structure retrospectives to encourage
more feedback about interpersonal issues. I believe the teams I work with
feel the retros are a "safe space", but the vast majority of the issues
that come up are mechanical, not personal.

Of course, it's possible that there really aren't that many interpersonal
issues on these teams. (They do seem to be more emotionally healthy and
mature than many teams I have interacted with.) But I don't want to take
any chances. And I don't have a ton of experience running retros, so I'm
hoping those of you with more experience can provide some pointers.

Thanks!

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation