[teampractices] [LOLZ] Fwd: [Phabricator] Password Reset

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 3 18:35:24 UTC 2016

Just making sure: That email that started the thread was from upstream
Phab not ours. Does our Phab install use that language. I presumed as we
have "serious business mode" enabled we wouldn't get it.

"Serious business mode" is effectively "turn off all of the funny names
for things".

Greg

<quote name="Amir E. Aharoni" date="2016-10-03" time="21:25:04 +0300">
> For what it's worth, it is reflected in our Localization best practices:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation
>
> Search especially for "Avoid jargon and slang", but there are references to
> this throughout the document. The people who review changes that involve
> software messages (including myself) frequently bring this up.
>
> בתאריך 3 באוק׳ 2016 20:39,‏ "Max Binder" <mbinder at wikimedia.org> כתב:
>
> > While this thread was initially inspired by the feelings so accurately
> > captured by Picard and Riker, there is another observation that I feel is
> > worth acknowledging.
> >
> > As a global entity, the Wikimedia movement is often challenged by
> > communication across diverse cultures, languages, and the realities of
> > gender dynamics and history, among a plethora of other diversity-related
> > considerations that are too numerous to list exhaustively here. Simply put,
> > that often means that someone from one part of the world might not
> > understand someone from another, and that is too often exacerbated by
> > idiomatic language (to say nothing of my own verbosity here).
> >
> > This holds especially true online, where non-verbal communication lacks
> > the nuance of a face-to-face encounter. The movement is concerned with
> > broadening the sharing of information, and shared understanding. It's easy
> > to see how that can be especially difficult with the challenges described.
> >
> > Inside jokes are fun, and often harmless (or better yet, provide
> > opportunities to bond). They can also, to quote a colleague who helped me
> > think through this, "perpetuate an exclusive vs inclusive experience." In
> > this case, the joke assumes that everyone knows the best practice that
> > passwords should not be simple and should not be written down. In
> > discussing this with another colleague who helped me figure out what I was
> > trying to articulate, the following was put to my attention, from the ongoing
> > draft of the Code of Conduct for technical spaces
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct/Draft#Principles>:
> >
> > "Technical skills and community status make no difference to the right to
> > be respected and the obligation to respect others. Newcomers and other
> > contributors with limited experience in our community deserve a welcoming
> > attitude and constructive feedback. Prolific contributions and technical
> > expertise are not a justification for lower standards of behavior."
> >
> > At the very least, as yet another insightful colleague put it, the
> > inconsistency of language in a UI can cause added cognitive load when using
> > the product. At worst, things like the text in the standard Phabricator
> > password-reset email can create a distancing user experience for those
> > unfamiliar with the space from which the Phacility team is coming. I wanted
> > to make sure that that reality was acknowledged, particularly given the
> > space in which the Wikimedia movement operates.
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM, Prateek Saxena <psaxena at wikimedia.org>
> [...]

| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |