[teampractices] Copying meeting notes into wiki

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 28 21:24:03 UTC 2016

We often take notes in etherpad or google docs, and later need to post
those on wiki (mw.o, office, meta, etc.). Historically, we took notes in
wikitext format, such as using * and ** for bullet lists.

About a month ago(?), the parsoid and/or VE teams made a change that
allowed nested lists to be copied out of a google doc and pasted into VE.
Yay! In google docs, we can now use the native lists, with their cool
indent/undent features.

Last week, I discovered that copying from etherpad and pasting into VE is
still broken. Turns out etherpad's copy (or cut) feature doesn't produce
reasonable HTML, so that will require an upstream fix before it can
work[1].

However, etherpad has a secret feature that will export valid HTML. With
that, it is possible to use native bullet lists in etherpad as well. Here
are the steps to bring an etherpad into wiki (using Firefox, at least):
1. In the toolbar, find the icon that has two opposing arrows, and click it
2. From that popup, click on "HTML" in the right (export) column
3. Assuming your browser pops up an open/save dialog, you can choose open
with your browser
4. You should now see a simple HTML version of the notes
5. Select all (or a portion) of the text, and hit Copy
6. Go to VE on wiki, and hit Paste

Yay!

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation