[teampractices] Patch review culture of Wikimedia teams

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 16 00:20:52 UTC 2016

I'll speak for myself, while boldly/foolishly projecting some guesses onto
the rest of TPG as well.

TPG generally focuses on process and inter-personal issues, and doesn't get
into the tech itself. So our focus tends to be at the phab task level,
rather than at the gerrit patch level. I'm happy to hear that Dan monitors
the patches, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is unusual in doing so
(among product managers), because he has a very technical background.

I think most TPGers happen to be embedded into teams that receive
relatively few external code submissions.

I wonder whether integrating code review into phab will give us some new
tools to help teams more easily monitor the flow of patches. I don't know
what tools are available in gerrit.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation