[teampractices] Code review social norms

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 15 23:48:42 UTC 2016

There are lots of different cases here, as well as existing norms, and also
preferences.

I would mention that in some cases, I would prefer to accept the commit as
is, and then perform minor refactoring, such as changing a name, fixing a
typo, or rearranging the code. Not only does that clearly separate
authorship, but it would also encourage those changes to be reviewed by
someone other than that author.

Disclaimer: As someone who has carefully reviewed many hundreds
(thousands?) of commits, I am a big fan of smaller commits, or even micro
commits. I would much rather review 10 trivial changes than one monolithic
commit that does 10 different things.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation