[teampractices] Use cases for work tracking, sub-projects, etc in Phabricator

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 2 08:48:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Joel Aufrecht <jaufrecht at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I'm trying to work out, on behalf of VE, exactly how we would want to use
> the new sub-project and milestone functionality.

Community Liaisons and Developer Relations have a much simpler process, but
I still wonder whether we could improve it by using subprojects.

We have team projects to tag any tasks related to our teams, i.e.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/27/

Then, we organize what we call monthly sprints but is actually not a
"Sprint project" but a tag that we add to tasks that we plan to work on a
certain month, without a commitment to finish them, no story points, no
burndown. See for instance
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/1649/

In theory, these monthly sprints could be subprojects of our team project,
right? If I understood the subprojects feature correctly, this would mean
that

* Tasks in a sprint (subproject) would not appear in the main project
(team) workboard, which would be useful to see the tasks that haven't been
scheduled yet.
* Tasks in one subproject (i.e. #Liaisons-March-2016) could still be added
to other subprojects as well (April, May, etc).

Do you think this approach makes sense?

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil