[teampractices] Use cases for work tracking, sub-projects, etc in Phabricator

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 1 20:32:04 UTC 2016

>>    - Parenting is too cumbersome because it's not bidirectional.
>>
>> What exactly do you mean here?  I can think of:

Basically what you laid out. As tasks are created, there are far more
instances of "this is a child of X" than there are "X should be broken down
into Y." It's too hard to add a task to a parent. I suppose that can be a
process issue, where one is thinking up new things and fitting them into
existing parents/epics, and the other is breaking down an existing epic,
but in my experience the teams are more likely to come up with new ideas
and see how they fit. Frankly, that feels a little more "planning" rather
than "plan" anyway.

 What would make tagging (categorizing) less lossy?  The main thing coming
> to mind it to easily see untagged things, in order to create a feedback
> loop where you can instantly see what's still untagged and tag it.  How
> would that work?

I think the new board UI helps with this, by showing project tags on cards,
but if there are a lot of cards it's still not easy. The primary motivation
for getting a product owner to tag is the disarray they will feel if
something is not tagged. Additionally, if you want a parent to have a tag,
but not the child (such as with the "Milestone" project), you have to
manually fix that, and I've observed that most people forget.

Phlogiston has mitigated this, some, by showing that if you don't follow
process then you won't get your reports.