[teampractices] Phabricator terminology change (blocking->subtasks)

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 1 20:55:15 UTC 2016

Just so everyone doesn't think this is "done" per se (parts of it are),
work is still on-going upstream in https://secure.phabricator.com/T4788

See, for instance, the work on creating the task dependency tree. It's
already gone through a few iterations today and will probably change
more.

Greg

<quote name="Kevin Smith" date="2016-07-01" time="09:56:01 -0700">
> This week, phabricator changed the terminology it uses for managing
> dependencies between tasks. What has been called "Blocking"/"Blocked by" is
> now called "Parent"/"Subtask". Ignoring phab terminology for a minute, here
> are the two basic cases these terms are covering:
>
> 1. *Sequential dependencies.* For example, if "Implement feature X" needed
> to be complete before "Document feature X", then the implementation task
> would Block the document task, and the document task would be blocked by
> the implement task.
>
> 2. *Composition relationships/task breakdown.* For example, if "deploy
> feature X" consisted of "implement feature X" and "document feature X",
> then the deploy task might be a parent, while the implement and document
> tasks would be subtasks.
>
> Until recently, phab has used the blocking/blocked by term to cover both
> cases. A parent task would be blocked by its subtasks. There was a command
> to create a subtask, which would create the appropriate blocking
> relationships.
>
> Now, phab uses the parent/subtask terminology to cover both cases. In the
> sequential tasks case, the endpoint would be considered the parent, so in
> the example above, "document" would be the parent, and "implement" would be
> its subtask. Note that a task may have multiple "parents".
>
> A nice feature they added is the ability to manage the parent/subtask
> relationship from either end. While editing a task, you can change its
> subtasks or its parents. Previously, you could only edit one direction.
>
> I created T139181 as a task to update our wiki phab documentation.
>
> Kevin Smith
> Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation

| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |