[teampractices] Interesting logistical experiment in London Underground

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 29 00:32:08 UTC 2016

The underground experiment is interesting, but it's critical to understand
the context. They targeted escalators that are so steep and long that
people were choosing not to walk up them. Thus, there would be many unused
half-steps on the walking side, which is clearly wasteful.

At every BART station I have been on, the walking side is as crowded as the
standing side. Changing the walking side to a second standing side would
clearly reduce overall throughput, AND frustrate people in a hurry. That's
a lose-lose proposition.

The other plausible argument in favor of having everyone stand instead of
walk would be safety, but the experimenters didn't seem very interested in
that.

Tying it back to software development, I guess I would take away this
lesson: Look for, and eliminate, waste. It's hard to go wrong doing that.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation