[teampractices] Interesting read on Open Source

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez jhernandez at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 18 11:39:56 UTC 2016

Some more info:

> The formal name for open source is free/libre open source software
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software>. As such,
> open source motivations have a strong moral component:

I'm not sure what the background of the author is, but this ^ and the
paragraphs that follow are not exactly true (regarding *open source*).

Here are a couple of links that talk about the difference:

   - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html
   - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

The two terms describe almost the same category of software, but they stand
> for views based on fundamentally different values. Open source is a
> development methodology; free software is a social movement. For the free
> software movement, free software is an ethical imperative, essential
> respect for the users' freedom. By contrast, the philosophy of open source
> considers issues in terms of how to make software “better”—in a practical
> sense only. It says that nonfree software is an inferior solution to the
> practical problem at hand. Most discussion of “open source” pays no
> attention to *right and wrong*, *only to popularity and success*;

They are similar, but not the same.