[teampractices] Fortune article about "The Open Organization"

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 30 04:28:50 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I thought you all might be able to glean some insights worth sharing from a
book written by Jim Whitehurst.  Jim Whitehurst took over at Red Hat CEO a
few years ago, and wrote a book called "The Open Organization".  Fortune
wrote a small piece about his book:
http://fortune.com/2015/06/06/red-hat-ceo-open-organization/

A quote worth sharing: "Whitehurst admits he joined Red Hat with the idea
of changing things: by holding teams far more accountable for metrics and
putting more finely delineated chains of command in place. But he quickly
realized the system of perpetual feedback baked into the company’s culture
was far more effective than relying on daily reports overloaded with data
or limiting the power to make decisions quickly."

I haven't read the book, but that quote reminded me of the article Arthur
mailed to this list earlier this month ("The Costs of Accountability").
Red Hat almost certainly has similar challenges to the ones we face,
especially given the pressures of being a publicly traded company with
their market cap.  If there are any Red Hat employees lurking here, some
real world thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I've got this book on my reading list, but if someone whose a faster reader
than I am spoils it for me, I won't mind.  :-)

Rob