[teampractices] [TOOL REQUEST] A way to "raise your hand" as a remotee

Dan Garry dgarry at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 22 15:52:55 UTC 2015

On 22 September 2015 at 08:40, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I had thought about that in the past, but seeing it in this thread really
> resonated with me. For meetings with a mix of SF and remote folks, I am
> starting to think that it would be better for all the SF folks to scatter
> and use individual computers to join the hangout.

This is harder than it seems. It can be quite disruptive to those around
you to sit at your desk being noisy participating in a hangout, and that
rules out a large part of the office. I've done this before myself from the
fifth floor collab space, where there are no permanent desks and some
semi-private areas, but you cannot guarantee the availability of those
spaces. When I was remote I often wondered why more people didn't do this,
but when I moved to the office, I started to appreciate the difficulties
with it.

Dan

--
Dan Garry