[teampractices] [TOOL REQUEST] A way to "raise your hand" as a remotee

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 22 15:40:26 UTC 2015

> The way the WMF engineering team solved it is that all members are
> attending the meeting remotely. Despite 3 out of 7 members are based in
> SF, albeit frequently working remotely.  That might sound a bit extreme
> though.

I had thought about that in the past, but seeing it in this thread really
resonated with me. For meetings with a mix of SF and remote folks, I am
starting to think that it would be better for all the SF folks to scatter
and use individual computers to join the hangout. It would avoid
cross-table talk, and would put the facilitator in a position to have equal
access to all participants. It would also avoid risk of conference room
echo.

It is extreme, and probably wouldn't be feasible much of the time. But it
does have appeal, and I might look for opportunities to experiment with it.
At a minimum, I'll probably try harder to use my own laptop rather than
conference room A/V when I end up being the only SF participant in a
meeting.

Kevin