[teampractices] [Discussion] Term for always prepping for the next thing

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Sat Sep 5 19:16:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The future tasks matter, but so do the current tasks, and yet in order to
> execute the next task, a sacrifice is made to current productivity.

I think the term you may be looking for is "analysis paralysis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis>".  It's not a perfect
fit, but it seems reasonably close to what you're describing.  It's good to
have a limited number of people in any particular organization focused on
planning out "the next thing", but it takes a lot of skill on *everyone's* part
to ensure that the presence of that focus doesn't lead to organizational
analysis paralysis.

Rob