[teampractices] Phabricator's "Epic" tag...why?

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 1 17:33:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out what benefits the Epic tag actually
> > provides, and so far I haven't thought of any.

Specifically about the "Epic" tag, see
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/teampractices/2014-December/000566.html

> > Several teams are putting [EPIC] or EPIC: or [
> > title of epics, all of which do a better job of identifying epics than the
> > Epic tag. The tag is only visible when you view the detail, whereas a
> > freeform text identifier in the title is visible in workboards, lists, and
> > even email notifications.

Related: There is currently no way to customize the display of cards on
boards; see
https://secure.phabricator.com/T4863

What I see is that people add such "[epic]" prefix tags but they do not
always also add the "epic" tag to such tasks [1].
The more such prefix tag cases exist, the shorter the display of the
actual task summary might get.

Cheers,
andre

[1] Some tasks where I added the "epic" tag in addition to that tag
being in the task summary: T99953,T98054,T97458,T98873,T95571

--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/