[teampractices] Trellos & Minglers, what is blocking your migration to Phabricator?

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 25 02:21:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:

What is stopping you from starting the move?

No real motivation to do it before WMF tracks bugs in Phabricator.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator says "earliest 2014-11-07: Bugzilla
migration <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/bugzilla-migration/> ."
Once that's there Flow team will be desperate to jump on board for our next
sprint.

> Technical or non-technical problems, please report them now. New tasks,
> new comments or replies to this email are welcome.

Flow has a large backlog in Trello we'd like to migrate, but only those
cards that don't have associated bugs. If anyone has done any automation of
Trello/Mingle migration, speak up here and on
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T36

I assume Phabricator will have a "Flow extension" project for all the
migrated Flow bugs. When the Flow team switches to Phabricator we'll add a
subset of them to a "Flow-sprint-K" project for the current sprint and work
with that project's workboard. Maybe we'll have a "Flow-backlog" project as
well. (Remember folks, a task can be in multiple projects but a project
can't have multiple workboards , https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T841 ,
even though it's plural 'Workboards" throughout the UI.)

It's feels strange that you can't see or edit workboard information like
current column when you edit a task, but it makes sense when you remember
that tasks can be in projects hence workboards.

Questions:
* Can you limit who can edit a workboard (drag cards, reorganize, add
/delete columns)?
* What kind of information can we show in a workboard view? (more below)

*Workboard display*

It seems a Phabricator workboard can only show the (global) task priority
as a colored label, and then underneath the name of the assigned person, if
any. With Christopher's excellent Story point add-on I think it shows story
points next to the assigned person:
    christopher  ยท13

Meanwhile
* Multimedia team is asking for a Blocked tag
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T846

* Trello has 6 color labels that you can name, e.g. Flow has This sprint,
Backport fix, Bugs, Key deliverable, Frontend, Backend.
  ** Phabricator's colored label is the global task priority.
  ** Phabricator projects have colors, but again you don't see a task's
other projects on a workboard.

* You can pick a Trello card's attachment to can show as its cover image,
https://trello.com/b/EXtVTJxJ/mediawiki-ui uses this a lot.

* Trello has stickers, Flow team never came up with standard meanings for
them but people slap them on when they're stressed :)
  ** Phabricator has wacky tokens (Pterodactyl? Spooky tree?) , but I don't
see them in the workboard.

* Trello has due dates that change color as they get near.
  ** Phabricator has colored "Flag For Later" flags, but I don't see them
in the workboard.

* Trello cards have a gray row of icons+text that indicate: card has a
description, a count of comments, a 3/5 indicating 3 of 5 checklist items
are completed, and the colored due date badge.

None of this is a hard requirement for the Flow team to use Phabricator
workboards, but we're going to miss a Trello board's richer presentation.
Phabricator project tags can do a lot, but again you don't see the other
projects for a task when viewing a workboard.  Possibly all of these could
be supported once some Phabricator cards get implemented:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154 "Possibility to display different
types of cards"
* https://secure.phabricator.com/T4863 "All Workboard Cards to be
customized for display"

Again, no outright blockers, I'm just musing aloud.

--
=S Page  Features engineer