[teampractices] Trellos & Minglers, what is blocking your migration to Phabricator?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 13 17:31:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> The lack of this feature in Phabricator may seem like just a minor
> inconvenience to some. But I believe it's been an integral part of teams
> feeling like they can move fast with minimal friction in the planning
> process.

I'm fully aware of its importance... (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129
& https://secure.phabricator.com/T4900 <--- consider lobbying upstream as
well :) )

In fact, in the second link I have asked the Phabricator maintainers for a
rough estimate of work, and I will ask here as well, since this is a list
full of PHP/JS developers, and even some of you are familiar with the
problem of "live updates". Having an estimate, we could start thinking
about practical solutions.

Phabricator is developed by three people, plus some contracted help, and
the community. I find their performance amazing. Part of their success is
to have a very good sense of their priorities, and to help whoever wants to
help. Live updates for workboards is not one of their top priorities; I
wonder, do we want to help?

... On the other hand, I still think that, when it comes to "go faster", it
should also play a role not having to maintain totally separate spaces for
project planning and bug reports. How much time and annoyance saves live
updating boards versus the non-live updating? How much time and annoyance
saves a single place for bugs and project work versus keeping cards, bug
reports and conversations in sync?

In discussions with some teams, when we reach this point, a thought is
expressed in words: in fact the prospect of bringing project work to an
open community space has its own time-wasting risks. In Trello and Mingle
you can work quietly in the context of your team, without external
disruptions. How is this going to change if we move to Phabricator?

I think this is a point in many people's minds that deserves more
attention. Software features will help, but there is more to solve in the
social side.