[teampractices] The Rule of Three (+1)

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 23 22:13:34 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 02:57 PM, Maryana Pinchuk wrote:
> Update: the Flow team has tried to make the community involvement
> practice explicit in its documentation on Mediawiki.org[1] and English
> Wikipedia.[2]

Very very good!

> talk pages of Flow documentation are already
> choked with dozens of angry threads that go nowhere and just make
> everyone sad and grumpy. Experience with/feedback on this from other
> teams would be most appreciated :)

Invite angry users to become active contributors, converting their
arguments in isolated bugs or enhancement requests in Bugzilla. Make
them part of the development process.

Bugzilla (and bug reporting in general) helps to analyze a problem,
divide it into chunks, declare dependencies, declare relations to other
issues in other projects, declare priorities and urgency. It is also
clear when somebody is working on a report or not, when it is still open
for discussion or WONTFIX. And whenever someone else comes with the same
argument you can decide whether to just resolve as DUPLICATE or reopen
the issue because better arguments have been exposed.

There can be a lot of anger in Bugzilla reports, but it is more
difficult to sustain pointless anger there than in angry wiki Talk
pages. And you can CC us, and we will help.  :)

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation