[teampractices] Hangout alternative - chatb.org

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 16 22:56:08 UTC 2013

On 12/14/2013 10:10 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Chatb.org is a lightweight WebRTC videoconferencing service - works in
> an Etherpad-like fashion (share URLs to give access). Fully open source,
> by Jan Gerber. There's also a WebRTC Etherpad plugin, running at
> pad.textb.org <http://pad.textb.org>.
>
> Code at r-w-x.org <http://r-w-x.org>. Both require recent versions of FF
> or Chrome (Opera might work too).
>
> Might be a good hangout alternative for meetings that don't require
> screensharing.

I didn't get a chance to try Chatb yet (would still like to test later).

I got AppRTC video working with one person (it seems it might be limited
to one-on-one, not sure?), but not audio.

Besides the FOSS issue, I actually have audio problems in Google Hangout
too, so I have extra reason to try alternatives.

Matt Flaschen