[QA] Get those small bugs fixed by new contributors: It's Google Code-In time!

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 10 09:12:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 15:55 +0100, Željko Filipin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Great. Want to add the "Google-Code-in-2015" project to (some of) these
> > tasks and add a comment a la "I'd mentor this task in GCI 2015"? See
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in_2015#Mentors.27_corner
> > for more info.
> I am reluctant to be an official mentor again. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.

I wonder how to reduce that workload for you.
Would having similar ("generic") GCI tasks help?

Asking as I see a lot of "Update $some-extension mediawiki_selenium
Ruby gem to version 1.x" tasks in Phabricator.

Basically:
1) Once set up good docs under "Common instructions for tasks" on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in_2015 (setup,
expectations, requirements, skills knowledge, ...).
2) Mentor students which don't have many questions left anymore.
3) Profit from getting those tasks fixed, having time to work on more
complex things, and by potentially getting some new contributors.

Still not convinced? :)

Anyone else willing to give a helping hand to young people new to FOSS
development? Please ask, I'm happy to help!

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler