[QA] upstream bug reported for page_object Ruby gem

Chris McMahon christopher.mcmahon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:31:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM, S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Flow's post input fields morph from an input text field to a textarea upon
> click. I assumed that was why we use "text_field", as it works with either.
>
> I think your test is accessing the topic title (name="topiclist_topic"),
> which continues to be an input text field after clicking, so textarea won't
> work.

Yes, I updated some other tests about "Reason for
hiding/suppressing/whatever" for the morphing text fields yesterday.  In
those cases the input had no type at all assigned, so page_object
(correctly) saw it as a "button".

But in this case, something has gone subtly weird in the page_object
internals.  "text_field" is actually deprecated, and "textarea" should
identify any sort of text input.  In other words, whether right or wrong,
the behavior of these locators in page_object should be the same and it's
not.
-Chris