[QA] pairing with Zeljko at 6am on 11/11/14

Baochuan Lu lubaochuan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 05:12:14 UTC 2014

Hello everyone:

 I paired with Zeljko this morning from 6am to 7am (CDT) via Google
hangout.

 In the first half hour we tried to troubleshoot an issue with git-review
on my computer. I was able to push changes to Gerrit using "git review -R"
but when I try to download a change using "git review -d 171508" I kept
getting the following error message
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/63d61db5ea175ef5e9d1 Zeljko was able to
download a change so it is not a server issue. We tried to reinstall
git-review to no avail. Zeljko suggested that I ask for help on
wikitech-l at wikipedia.org

 During the second half hour Zeljko guided me to fix another rubocop
offense: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/172535/ We pushed a change and
later amended it. This session was recoded and made available to my
students. Toward the end Zeljko talked about the workflow. I could continue
working on the same branch and build on the changes I already made. But the
downside is that I may touch on the same lines in un-merged changes and
will run into issues when, maybe, rebasing. Another option is to create a
new branch for each change, which makes it hard to build on top of previous
changes.

 I also learned not to regenerate .rubocop_todo.yml but instead work on the
version from the repo. Zeljko made the pairing session weekly and invited
my students to attend. I look forward to our next session.

 Thanks,
 Baochuan Lu