[QA] Acceptance tests that require account creation

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 7 22:11:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Another avenue we have discussed is to use Vagrant.  I haven't gone very
> far down that path, but it should be possible to share a Vagrant image with
> essential test data on it.

This is a little tangential to thread, but I think there are a lot of
benefits to using Vagrant - especially if we had an image that replicated
production architecture (varnish caching, multiple domains, mobile
redirect, etc). This has been on my wish list for a long time now. I
discussed it at length with Ori during Wikimania and he started hacking on
it a bit, though I have no idea how far he got. Anyway, besides QA
purposes, it would be amazing if there was a portable environment that was
available to all of us so we can all easily be on the same page. Not that
we'd have to all exclusively develop in that environment, but it would be
great to have a decentralized way to avoid the 'but it works on my machine'
pitfall. Also, it would be rad to be able to hand a Vagrant image to a new
dev - we all know how much of a PITA it is to get your local environment
configured to run MobileFrontend, particularly in a way that even partially
replicates production architecture/settings/etc.

--
Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile