[QA] Coordinating update of CloudBees "Selenium" template

Jeff Hall jhall at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 19 02:08:23 UTC 2014

We recently made a change to the mediawiki_selenium Rubygem to re-name
the BROWSER_LABEL environment variable to BROWSER[1].

In order for this change to work as expected with browser tests run via
CloudBees, we'll need to update the "Selenium" template configuration[2]
in CloudBees to use the same env variable name.

However, if we change the CloudBees template right now, that change will
break browser tests in Gerrit repos that have not yet been updated to
use version 0.2.6 of the mediawiki_selenium Rubygem.  The VisualEditor
repo has been updated to use the latest version of the Rubygem, and thus
the VE browser tests are currently failing because the old env variable
name (BROWSER_LABEL) is still being exported by the "Selenium" template.

Long story short, I think we need to update all repos that have browser
tests to use the version 0.2.6 Rubygem, and then update the CloudBees
template once all of the repos are ready-to-go.

I'm not sure how to best coordinate such a universal change to all WMF
repos that have browser tests - can anyone suggest the best way to
proceed that will minimize disruption?

Thanks much,

Jeff

[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/113354/