[QA] Beta cluster running MW from scap copy

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 17 21:48:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I have changed the MediaWiki hosts in the beta project
> (deployment-{apache0[12],videoscaler01,jobrunner01} to work from the
> copy of MediaWiki code and config that the beta-scap-eqid Jenkins job
> [0] creates on each host.
>
> If this change is thought to be creating problems in beta and I'm not
> around to troubleshoot, the old behavior of running from the NSF
> mounted shared directory can be restored by changing the
> /usr/local/apache symlink on each host mentioned above to point to
> /data/project/apache again. There is a tiny shell script at
> ~bd808/use-apache-nfs.sh that will do this.
>
> At this point I can say that scap is deploying the beta code. There
> are a few things that need to be cleaned up before I declare victory,
> but the fundamental mechanism is working. \o/
>
> [0]: https://integration.wikimedia.org/ci/job/beta-scap-eqiad/

I figured out just a few minutes ago that the changes I had made were
undone by the mediawiki::packages class in puppet shortly after I made
them this morning. I have updated my giant-puppet-hack-patchâ„¢ [1] to
have puppet ensure that the changes I'd made manually are made by
puppet now [2]. If this change needs to be un-done in a hurry:
* Edit /var/lib/git/operations/puppet//modules/mediawiki/manifests/packages.pp
on deployment-salt.
** Set the target for File['/usr/local/apache/common-local'] to
'/data/project/apache/common-local'.
* Force a puppet run on the
deployment-{apache0[12],videoscaler01,jobrunner01} hosts.

[1]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/123674/
[2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/123674/17/modules/mediawiki/manifests/packages.pp

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA