[QA] help update the QA wiki pages? (new people welcome!)

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 21 13:42:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> How about: "Review and proofread the page at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_assurance, and all the pages
> linked from there.  Report any items that are unclear to a new user or that
> may require elaboration or updating".
> Would that be appropriate?

This still sounds to me like "please read all of our docs and let us know
what you think". :) I think the task is not explicit enough for somebody
new to the project.

As far as I remember, the guidelines for a good task are something that you
would need 2-3 hours to finish = it would take 2-3 days for somebody new to
the project.

Having that in mind, this is a task that I plan to propose as a task:
- find all QA related wiki pages at mediawiki.org and add QA category to
them (then the mentor would either remove deprecated page from the category
or mark them pages accordingly)
- read a page (getting started, setup on a local machine, setup on Vagrant
VM...), follow the advice and report/fix if something is outdated/wrong

I have also noticed that we use both QA and Testing categories for most of
the QA related pages. I do not mind which one we pick, but we should
probably pick just one category.

Željko