[QA] Tests timing out when running via Jenkins/SauceLabs

Jeff Hall jhall at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 15 20:28:04 UTC 2013

I spent some time today looking at automated test failures via
CloudBees/Jenkins (https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com), and a pretty common
theme of tests that fail inconsistently is "Watir::Wait::TimeoutError"
issues.  Here's an example of a recent failure that falls into this
category:

https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/browsertests-commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org-linux-chrome/463/testReport/(root)/UploadWizard/Navigate_to_Describe_page/
<https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/browsertests-commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org-linux-chrome/463/testReport/%28root%29/UploadWizard/Navigate_to_Describe_page/>

 From previous experience working with SauceLabs, I know that this is
not unusual, since by definition you're initiating a test workflow that
creates a lot of network traffic, and latencies are probably inevitable.

What I'm wondering is whether or not it might be a good idea to use the
page-object "wait_until" method more widely.  For example, we currently
use it in aftv5_steps.rb
<https://github.com/wikimedia/qa-browsertests/blob/master/features/step_definitions/aftv5_steps.rb>.

I realize that adding any type of sleep or wait behavior to a test just
causes overall test execution time to increase, but I'm thinking it's
more important to have fewer failing tests overall, so that folks can
focus their trouble-shooting efforts on test failures that may be a
consequence of actual bugs (and not just timeouts).

I'd love to hear other opinions on this topic, so please speak up if you
have an opinion ;)

Thanks,

Jeff