[QA] green builds!

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 25 22:06:10 UTC 2013

We have caught up and turned a number of builds green this week:

Mobile tests are green in beta labs and in production for the first time in
a while:

https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/MobileFrontend-en.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org-linux-firefox/
https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/MobileFrontend-en.m.wikipedia.org-linux-firefox/

Firefox builds are green for beta labs and for test2wiki:

https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/browsertests-en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org-linux-firefox/
https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com/job/browsertests-test2.wikipedia.org-linux-firefox/

When things move fast like they have with projects like VisualEditor and
UniversalLanguageSelector, our priority is to keep the builds for Firefox
and Chrome green (except when we report bugs that cause failures, of
course!).

Unfortunately, our tests for VisualEditor have run into a bug in
Chromedriver for Selenium, noted here:
https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=2766  I'd like to find
a way to work around this very soon.

And our builds for versions of IE have fallen behind.  As I noted in a
message to the wikitech-l mail list recently, our support for versions of
IE varies widely from feature to feature.  Now that Firefox and Chrome
tests are mostly sorted, we can update our IE builds to reflect the various
levels of support for the various versions of IE.

Finally, just as we've had workshops about creating browser tests, I want
to have workshops about understanding why tests fail also.  Green builds
are important, and keeping the builds green by reporting bugs and
maintaining test code is important work.

-Chris