[Mediawiki-l] Image caching on File: pages... any workaround?
danb at VistaPrint.com
Tue Sep 6 14:05:54 UTC 2011
The most frequent problem on our wiki (MediaWiki 1.17.0) involves re-uploads of images, where users are fooled by browser caching:
1. A user uploads a modified version of an existing image (File:Foobar.jpg)
2. After the upload, user views File:Foobar.jpg but the old image is still showing.
3. User tries uploading 10 more times. The old image is still showing.
4. User calls tech support, who says, "press ctrl-F5 to refresh your browser."
5. User presses ctrl-F5 and the new image shows up.
Obviously the problem is due to browser caching. Is there any way for the MediaWiki software to prevent this problem from happening and show only uncached images on File:Foobar.jpg? The average user doesn't know anything about browser caching.
(We already added a note to the Upload page that explains the problem. People don't notice the note - their attention is focused on uploading their image.)
More information about the MediaWiki-l