[Mediawiki-l] Redirect with cutout

Dan Nessett dnessett at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 21:08:10 UTC 2011

There is a user on our wiki that needs to do the following (more than
once). There is a page A redirected to another page B, i.e., A -> B,
where -> indicates redirection. He wants to redirect B to C in a way that
leaves an empty B and fixes the redirect so it is A -> C.

This user has suppressredirect permission and (for testing purposes on
our test wiki) I have set $wgFixDoubleRedirects to true. Even with these
extras, it doesn't appear there is a way to achieve this user's objective
without some manual work (e.g., after moving B to C and selecting both
"leave a redirect behind" and "Update any redirects that point to the
original title" going back and manually deleting B).

Is this correct or is there a way to achieve the object in one step?

--
-- Dan Nessett