[Mediawiki-l] Why Facebook and others can't see a wiki's most important image

Ashar Voultoiz hashar+wmf at free.fr
Sun Jul 24 09:42:22 UTC 2011

On 24/07/11 06:17, jidanni at jidanni.org wrote:
> In Facebook share a link to a MediaWiki wiki or article.
> Is the picture that appears to the right of the link what you expect?
> Why can't it offer the site logo as one of the choices?

I am guessing you wanted the site logo (for Wikipedia, the sphere in the
top left).
When adding a link in Facebook, it parses the page content and then
offer you a selection of pictures *from the article content*.  With the
Vector and the Monobook skins, the logo is part of the site style, not
the article content.

This was done intentionally to avoid any confusion between style and
content, for example for Braille display.

So I would say it is working as intended and changing it will break our
accessibility.

> The problem is even worse when quoting a MediaWiki URL in a Facebook
> comment. In this case one ends up with the wretched "Powered by
> MediaWiki" logo as the only choice,

Please look at bugzilla for a similar bug report. If it does not exist,
please open one.  We should probably use the same trick to get the
MediaWiki logo out of site content.

> Can you believe that text browser users are denied any knowledge of the
> site logo either?

Working as intended.

For those wondering how it looks like, have a look at:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W3m-wikipedia.png

--
Ashar Voultoiz