[Mediawiki-l] Memory Leak Issue

Olivier Beaton olivier.beaton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:57:15 UTC 2011

I recently upgraded to from 1.17.0 to 1.18.0, upgraded all my extensions.
It seems to be running OK. One extension we use heavily is External Data[1]
(I installed the latest), and to solve the problem of dynamic external
content it recommends I turn off caching using the instructions in the MW
FAQ on meta [2]. I did so yesterday afternoon, and by this morning the
server had completely maxed out it's memory (despite not having any users
overnight) adn was spitting out errors into the php.ini (could not
allocate, etc).

Trying to trace things down using top and ps, although I'm not as
experienced as I'd like to be in linux, proved fruitless.

Is there any tips anyone could give me on figuring out what the problem is?
I've turned chaching back on and it seems to be running OK, at a steady
400MB used for the system instead of the 4GB this morning. Restarting
apache didn't affect anything.

I'm running MW 1.18.0 with Apache 2, PHP 5.3.3 (from redhat) w/ APC on
CentOS 5.5

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data#Common_problems
[2]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_completely_disable_caching.3F