[Mediawiki-l] Wiki migration

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Mon Dec 5 18:01:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 09:45:40 -0800, Stephen Berg (Contractor)
<stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil> wrote:

> On 12/05/2011 11:35 AM, OQ wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor)
>> <stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil>  wrote:
>>> I've been tasked to migrate a MediaWiki install (V 1.5.6) to a new
>>> server.  I suppose I could just install the older version but I'd
>>> rather
>>> migrate if it's possible.  Is the jump from 1.5.6 to the current 1.18.0
>>> too big a jump?  I was planning on dumping the database from the old
>>> server and importing to the new if that is possible.  I don't have a
>>> lot
>>> of experience here but if that will then I should be able to copy in
>>> all
>>> the images from old to new and be pretty much done.  This wiki doesn't
>>> have any add-ons, just a basic wiki for some of my users to collect and
>>> share information.
>> Dont try to import an old dump into a new version, upgrade to the new
>> version and then dump, or install the old version on the new server
>> and then upgrade.
>>
>> Few more details mentioned here:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Moving_a_wiki
> I like the idea of installing old version on new server, importing the
> database and then upgrading.  Is it necessary to upgrade from 1.5.6 to
> 1.6 to 1.7 etc etc.  Or can I jump straight to 1.18?

Our database migration code should be able to handle upgrading the
database from that far back, so you can just skip straight to 1.18.
The only problem with database migration might be the 1.5 to 1.6 iirc
where some collations in the database schema were changed.
It's been ages since then so it's possible that our code for that change
has rotted a bit.

If you do have any issue with going straight to 1.18, instead of going one
version at a time you can just do one upgrade to something like 1.11 and
then jump all the way to 1.18 from there. No need to do every version
upgrade incrementally.