[Mediawiki-l] Looking for MediaWiki users on shared hosts using /index.php?title=$1 rewrite-based shorturls

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Thu Aug 4 00:16:29 UTC 2011

Our docs on how to setup shorturls have been horrible for awhile.
They just about all suggest /index.php?title=$1 based rewrite rules.
Despite the fact that MediaWiki has REQUEST_URI based handling code to
extract titles from shorturls itself.
The result is that a lot of these wiki have bugs with titles like
[[C++]] and [[A&B]].

I'd like to get a bunch of wiki users running on different shared hosts
and using these rewrite-rule based short urls. If I could get some
people to spare some time, I can fix up the rewrite rules used for
configuration to work in a more elegant and stable way, and we can test
and see how these rules function on different shared hosts.

Naturally I have no interest in pre-1.11 installs (1.11 is when the
REQUEST_URI stuff was introduced).

...one of these days I suppose I'm also going to have to sort out the
absolutely horrible nginx instructions too.
((actually if anyone is using nginx, I'd be happy to sort out your
config too))