[Mediawiki-l] Do I need a fresh clean install? Advice and Help needed! - Thanks

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Wed Apr 6 10:01:11 UTC 2011

On 11-04-06 02:49 AM, monkey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I searched the archive for a while and couldn't find any advice on this
> subject, nor on Mediawiki really.
>
> Right now I have the "feeling", the wiki has so many problems, it would be
> good to have a clean install and start "from scratch" - without loosing all
> the content obviously... details and questions below:
>
> My (wiki's) situation:
> * MW 1.16, hosted on dreamhost, approx. 150 users, can only be read and
> edited by approved members.
> * active since 3,5 years
> * hosted on dreamhost, one-click advanced install, in the past I preferred
> to use their automatic updates, not to have too much hassle about it.
> Problems:
> * in the past all these extensions worked, but I can't get them to work
> anymore: ConfirmAccount, Collection.
> * SVGs don't show anymore properly
> * some minor problems ...
>
> So, now I'm thinking, a fresh install will help.
> * make it all new, maybe use subversion this time to install MW
> * install all extensions I need, be more specific this time - I learned a
> lot in those 3 years, about what I need etc ...
> * somehow transfer the data, files and the users from the "old wiki"...
> * invite the other 500 people that wait for access ...
>
> About me and my level of proficiency:
> I'm not a professional but ended up doing it all by myself, spending many
> hours searching subversion manuals etc ....
>
> My questions:
> * is a fresh install advisable?
> * the way I outlined it above, could this work?
> * do you have experiences on this?
> * or any other recommendations?
>
> Thanks a lot, sorry for the very long email ;-)
> Flo
I believe you should have still database access to your one-click
install at Dreamhost.
You should be able to get a good transfer by setting up a new 1.16
install from source (svn branches are a good way to do that, I do all my
wiki that way myself) and importing a dump of the same database as
what's in your one-click install.

...though personally, I'm of the opinion that MediaWiki is best run on
at minimum a VPS, not shared hosting like DreamHosts' one-clicks are
hosted in. I suppose Dreamhost is one of the few better quality shared
hosts though.

...now if I only had services to solicit...