[Mediawiki-l] Do I need a fresh clean install? Advice and Help needed! - Thanks

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 6 12:08:44 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 07:49 PM, monkey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I searched the archive for a while and couldn't find any advice on this
> subject, nor on Mediawiki really.
>
> Right now I have the "feeling", the wiki has so many problems, it would be
> good to have a clean install and start "from scratch" - without loosing all
> the content obviously... details and questions below:

Our MediaWiki installation has a configuration file called
CommonSettings.php which has, among a great deal of other cruft, this
line:

$DP = $IP;

This is setting a global variable which has been obsolete since
MediaWiki 1.2 (2004). I'm not saying it's not a good idea to start
again every once in a while, I'm just saying that it's possible to go
a long, long way without doing that.

You should be able to remove the extensions you don't want, and fix
the extensions you do want, without rewriting your configuration
files. I've found that "svn checkout --force" is a useful tool for
repairing tarball installations with modified files. I can give more
details on that if you want them.

-- Tim Starling