[Mediawiki-l] about requiring PHP 5.2

Ashar Voultoiz hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Sep 28 19:39:55 UTC 2010

Hello,

Looking at INSTALL it seems we are still supporting PHP version 5.1
which is 5 years old in a couple of weeks.  This is getting old and
prevents developers from using some new features.

Ideally we could raise it to 5.3 to get Namespace support, closures but
that might be to early since most webhost probably still use 5.2.x.

Would it be possible to consider raising the requirement to at least
5.2.0 ?  This would give us native JSON support and most probably the
filter extension enabled by default.  The later can be used to speed up
the input validation.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz