[Mediawiki-l] changing section numbering starting digit

James W. Fishwick fishwick at gmail.com
Fri May 21 00:33:19 UTC 2010

I'm using Mediawiki for a online textbook of sorts, with a page representing
a chapter. I have returned on section numbering for all users to mimic the
way the chapters are numbered in the book; works great. However, it doesn't
make sense in my context to have the numbering start with "1" for each
chapter. Ideally there would be a way to start the numbering at any number.
Or at least be able to change the leading "1" - no chapter is structured
with multiple h2s.  I've kludged a fix with javascript, but it is too slow
for my liking.

Are there plug-ins available with this functionality? How hard would it to
be to add a magic word that performs this functionality? Where in the php
should I start messing around?

--
James Fishwick
fishwick at gmail.com