[Mediawiki-l] Space estimation

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:57:19 UTC 2010

Hi!

> I'm asking for a friend who's English is even more worse than mine.

That must be very bad English! :-)

> 1. Is every revision saved? Meaning: if I change a slash into a
> backslash in a text of 12 kB is the space needed changing to 24 KB?
> And if I change a "then" to a "than" ist it changing to 36 kB than?

Yes/no/it's complicated.

Usually yes, you have multiple versions of text stored separately.
There is, however, batch compression script, that can either calculate deltas, concatenate, compress and write a blob, or just simply concatenate/compress and write a blob.
On articles with large edit histories this can compress to 1% :)

> 2. If I delete an article as an administrator, is it really wiped off the disk?

No.

Domas