[Mediawiki-l] Space estimation

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:50:36 UTC 2010

Hiya,

> 1. Is every revision saved? Meaning: if I change a slash into a
> backslash in a text of 12 kB is the space needed changing to 24 KB?
> And if I change a "then" to a "than" ist it changing to 36 kB than?

Yes, every revision is saved. And yes, this means that the database
can grow quite big quite quickly, but you can set $wgCompressRevisions
to true in your LocalSettings.php to combat this[1]

1. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgCompressRevisions

> 2. If I delete an article as an administrator, is it really wiped off the disk?

No. It'll just be marked as deleted, meaning (among other things)
it'll not be accessible to non-admins anymore.

--
schnee