[Mediawiki-l] Generating URLs for Scaled Images

Wood, Jamey Jamey.Wood at nrel.gov
Wed Dec 15 18:36:23 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a way to generate URLs for scaled version of MediaWiki images.  I'm aware of the techniques to generate URLs for unscaled MediaWiki images (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images#Link_directly_to_the_media_file), such as:

  [[Media:MyImage.png]]
  [[Special:FilePath/MyImage.png]]
  {{FILEPATH:MyImage.png}}

…but I'd like to be able to generate URLs for resized versions of an image (similar to the resizing allowed with the "File:" syntax).  In other words, it'd be nice to do something like this:

  [[Media:MyImage.png|200px]]

But from my experimentation and reading of the documentation, the core MediaWiki software doesn't support this (and will just treat the "200px" as text to be used as the body of the link's anchor).  I've browsed through the extensions list on MediaWiki.org and didn't find an extension that will do what I am seeking.  Am I overlooking something?  I realize I can write such an extension myself, but first want to make sure I won't be reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,
Jamey